Who Do You Belong To?
1 Corinthians 6:19, What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
Many times we go through our days never giving a thought to the fact that we are not our own. Why are we not our own? Because Someone else has bought us. When we have been purchased by Someone else, we do not belong to our “self” any longer.
- Who is this “Someone” with a capital “S”? Jesus, of course.
- How did He purchase us? With His own blood, as the ultimate and final sacrifice ever needed. Not just another lamb, but THE Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world John 1:29.
So, let’s consider this for a moment:
- If you have been bought by the blood of THE Lamb of God, Jesus – you do not belong to yourself, and the life you live, you live for the Son of God Gal. 2:20.
- If you belong to yourself – you are not bought by the blood of Jesus, and the life you live is not lived for the Son of God.
The Lord loves us so much, He wants us for Himself. He paid the price for our sins, without our having to even ask Him to.
If you want to hold on to your own life, then you have not been bought by His blood. You cannot have it both ways. (Here is a good book by Jason Perry, You Are Not Your Own)
1 Corinthians 6:20, For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
When Jesus sacrificed Himself for you, He paid the total price for complete redemption. He did not simply redeem part of you, He redeemed all of you: spirit, body, and soul (This is where you shout “Hallelujah” and dance around the room right now. It’s alright. I am a Baptist preacher and I am telling you it is ok to praise the Lord)!!!
If you have accepted redemption through His blood, you are not your own, you belong to Him.
What exactly does this mean outside of the obvious eternal life in Heaven?
- It means you now have a real purpose.
- It means you now have life-goals, meaningful life-goals, not just working to accumulate “stuff” and build retirement.
- It means God has a plan for you and an exciting adventure is laid out before you in discovering all that God has in store.
- You need to get your journal right now and start writing down everything that pops into your mind that you enjoy and would like to do in life, and then go back and sort it all out with the help of the Holy Spirit. He will show you the next step to take if you will listen.
Here is a suggestion…(Don’t give these alot of thought at first. Simply write down whatever comes to mind. If more than two come to mind, GREAT! Write them all down and sort them out later.)
SET TWO SPIRITUAL GOALS
“But grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ” (II Peter 3:18).
SET TWO PHYSICAL GOALS
“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice…which is your reasonable service” (Romans 12:1).
SET TWO MENTAL GOALS
“And be not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind…” (Romans 12:2).
SET TWO SOCIAL GOALS
“Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another” (Romans 12:10)
SET TWO STEWARDSHIP GOALS
“Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.” (Luke 6:38)
Praise God you belong to Him!
TAG – You’re it!