- Do you ever feel judged by others?
- Do you ever judge others yourself?
It seems the self-righteous folks are those who have not made the same mistakes we have.
- If a person has never smoked, they are quicker to condemn the smoker.
- If a person has never committed adultery, they are quicker to condemn the adulterer.
- If a person has never been divorced, they are quicker to condemn the divorcee.
- If a person has never gossiped, they are quicker to condemn the gossiper.
Why is it that we tend to forget that if we have had lusted after a person, we have committed adultery in our heart? Matt. 5:28
Why is it that we tend to forget that if we have been angry at a brother or sister, we have committed murder in our heart? 1 John 3:15
Why is it that we tend to forget the second greatest commandment; “Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself”?Matt. 22:37-39
Consider the Pharisee on the street corner, compared to the modern-day, self-righteous, church-goer.
“Thank you, Lord that I am not like this sinner”
“Thank you, Lord that I fast twice a week”
“Thank you, Lord that I give my tithes and offerings” Luke 18:11 & 12
Modern, Self-Righteous, Church-Goer
“Thank you, Lord that I am not like so-in-so who did this or that wrong”
“Thank you, Lord that I go to church once, twice, or three times a week”
“Thank you, Lord that I put a dollar in the plate and I didn’t see so-in-so put anything in”
- Jesus did not condemn the woman at the well. John 4:7-26
- Jesus did not condemn the adulteress about to be stoned (in fact, He saved her from being stoned). John 8:2-11
And He reminded those who were going to stone her, something we all need reminding of from time to time: We are ALL sinners! If we have committed one sin, then we are guilty of all. James 2:10
If we happened to be free from the ones I mentioned earlier, as examples…
Then it is not because WE are awesome, it is because HE is awesome, and it is by His grace alone that we have any good qualities at all.
This week, lets make a conscious effort to remember none of us are perfect. Look at other people through God’s eyes. The best we can do is to be more loving each day, out of our love and gratefulness toward Him.
“He who is without sin, cast the first stone” “Love your neighbour as yourself”
TAG! You’re it!
Go love someone to Jesus.